Throughout the Winter months, it is important that snow and ice are cleared from paths and pavements correctly, ensuring they are not made more dangerous by allowing them to re-freeze.
- The first step is to make sure you have the right equipment and by ordering one of our Grit Bin Winter Packs, you will have the essential kit required for clearing ice and snow.
- It is far easier to clear freshly fallen snow, rather than snow that has been walked on and therefore more compacted.
- Try and clear the snow from your paths in the morning, whereby any sunlight throughout the day should help with the melting of the ice underneath.
- The path or pavement should be covered with grit salt before nightfall to prevent re-freezing.
- Ensure you do not spread any rock salt on grass or plants, as this can potentially cause them damage.
- Pay particular attention to steps and steep paths, as these will require a little more gritting.
There are currently no laws restricting you from clearing snow and ice from any public space around your home. Provided you have cleared the area carefully, it is very unlikely you would be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries in the event of an accident.